Monday, April 25, 2011

Monday's Musings - Bumps & Bruises


In Edison's quest to pull himself up on absolutely every piece of furniture we own, taking a tumble is bound to happen.... and has happened (many times). Usually he just plops down onto his bum and all is well. Last Sunday however, was a bit of a different story....

He was trying to pull himself up while holding onto my bedside table, hands slipped, down he went, bonking his head in the process. He started crying, I picked him up and he quickly got over it. I didn't really think much of it until a few minutes later when Jonathan said "What's on his forehead?". I looked, and there it was: a purple bump! I know this will just be the first of many, but this was his first real bruise.... on his forehead no less!

Later on that day, Jonathan had Edison with him at the coffee shop and Edison took yet another tumble (bad parents or what?!?). Edison later developed another bruise on his cheek. However, the cheek bruise was in line with the forehead bruise, so we aren't sure if they both happened in the first fall, or if he got the second one in the coffee shop. Regardless, his poor little face was a little bruised up.

They've now turned yellow and are on their way out.... making way for future bumps and bruises, especially when he starts to learn how to walk.

I daily ask myself: do I let him figure it out on his own, be an independent explorer (and risk the falls, bumps and bruises along the way), or do I hover and try to protect him. While I think protecting him is good and necessary (especially as he is first learning how to do something), I don't want to constantly hover over him. I do, however, like to sit and watch in wonder as this tiny little body learns how to navigate this big world of his. Pure joy!

The forehead bruise....before the cheek bruise appeared

Both bruises...almost healed

No comments:

Post a Comment