Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Adventures in Sewing!

In January, I started a sewing project to make Edison a little stuffed animal called the Tramp Heart Bear. Take a look at my previous blog post if you missed it.

I hadn't really worked on it a lot lately because to sew it all by hand was a lot more time consuming than I had anticipated. I can really only work on it while Edison is napping because otherwise he's into everything... scissors and needles and all. I was thinking all along that I'd have more time to work on it over Spring Break and hopefully finish the little guy off.

Then something amazing happened!!! My Nana bought me a sewing machine as a gift! I was so excited! I will definitely be able to finish this project up much more quickly.

I took Home Ec when I was in high school... and that was probably the last time I touched a sewing machine. So to say I don't really remember anything about sewing is a bit of an understatement. I even forgot that the sewing machine will wind thread onto the bobbin for you... I thought I was going to have to go out and buy bobbins with thread on them. My mom probably thought I was a complete moron when I called her today to ask her if I had to go out and buy bobbins.... "Go read the manual" she said.

Reading the manual (to anything) is always a challenge for me. I will always try to avoid reading instructions to things and just try to figure them out myself. I don't know why I just can't wrap my brain around written instructions. Anytime we buy anything from Ikea that needs put together... Jonathan automatically knows that's his department. I HATE trying to put Ikea stuff together.

I am definitely a visual learner... I only have to see it done once and I'll know how to do something. I would have to read instructions 10 times to be able to figure something out. So after reading the instructions literally 10 times on how to wind the bobbin... and still not figuring it out, what's a girl to do but to resort to YouTube. There are Youtube videos about how to do pretty much anything on planet earth.... including how to wind the bobbin on my particular brand of sewing machine. All it took was one quick video, and off I went.

I figured out how to thread the machine without a problem and after practicing on a piece of fabric to make sure I had the stitch I wanted... I was off to the races.

My lovely new sewing machine, all set up 


My fully wound bobbin 


Threaded and ready to go 


I had to cut the face pieces out free-hand


The first thing I sewed with my new machine... the muzzle and nose 


The face completed 


A glimpse of what he will look like 


Ears!


Well, thats about it for now. I still hope to complete this little project before Spring Break is over. Stay tuned for the completed Tramp Heart Bear!


No comments:

Post a Comment