Monday, May 14, 2012

A Man of Many Words

Edison has been a little on the slow side in the talking department. He's definitely going at his own pace and if he doesn't want to say a word, he's not gonna! The only words that he's been saying consistently for the past few months are fish (his first word), dada, foodup, and more. He has had no shortage of Edison-talk (complete baby babble), animal sounds, and airplane/car sounds. But as far as actual words go, they were few and far between.

In the past month however, Edison his really kicked it up a notch and is saying a ton of words now. They may not be pronounced correctly yet, but he's trying. I've discovered that I have to be careful of what I say... one day I discovered a broken toy and I picked it up and said "oh shoot!" and little Edison looked at me and said "shoot".

Mama is the word I've been hounding him on for many, many months. I'd say "Edison, can you say mama" and he'd look at me and shake is head no. It drove me crazy! The kid was saying the word "battery" every time a toy stopped working, but he couldn't say mama!! Frustrating, to say the least!

Finally in the last couple of weeks he's started to say mama as well as a host of other words like please and thank-you, hi, bye, milk, water, slide, car, truck and dog, just to name a few.

He has a few words that all come out sounding the same... for example Albert, banana, up and strawberry all come out sounding like ba or ba-ba.... so he's got a bit of work to do on his pronunciations.

He also has some words that are related to his biggest interest: things that fly. Ever since Jonathan got a little remote control helicopter to fly around the house, Edison is also obsessed with helicopters. Somehow he's decided that "dodo" is his word for helicopter. So we often hear him say dodo, wheels, and wings.

He also likes trains, which he calls choo choos, and can even say skateboard.... he is his father's son.

Edison and I had a nice relaxing morning on Sunday. He frequently sits on our kitchen island to eat his breakfast while I tidy the kitchen up... so he was sitting there eating his scrambled eggs and watching helicopter videos on youtube and being very cute and I thought I'd take a couple videos. Once I took one video.... he kept wanting me to take more videos and then loved watching himself back... he probably could have watched himself all day.




No comments:

Post a Comment