Monday, February 21, 2011

Monday's Musings - 10 things I couldn't get through my day without


I've been thinking lately, about the things I need to get though the day. Not the obvious things (like food and water), but other things, that help my day run smoothly. So throughout the week, I started to compile a list of things I really appreciate having, and wouldn't really want to do without. I've also given a bit of a shout-out to a few of the baby products that I find really useful.....for all of you mommas, or future mommas out there. So, here goes:

1. Coffee - It hasn't been until the last couple of years that I've become a coffee addict. It started out innocently enough.....a Starbucks frappuccino every once and a while...and it slowly morphed into owning a coffee maker and not being able to function in the morning until I have caffeine running through my veins. What happens if I don't have my usual cup of coffee in the morning? A whopper of a headache! The good news is, I only need a cup in the morning and then I'm good for the rest of the day.

2. Hair Products - To get my hair to do anything (other than just be a big poofy mess) I need some sort of hair product. Whether I want it straight, curly, or pulled up I need an some sort of spray, mouse, or serum. My usual "style" as of late is to pull it back into a pony-tail. I'm usually a pony-tail kinda girl anyway, but at the moment it's pony-tail by necessity. Edison likes to look at my long dangling hair, grab a big handful and pull....usually towards his mouth. So my best solution is to just pull it back and take the temptation away....and save myself from having to pry his little hands out of my hair.

3. Nursing Pillow - I'm deeply attached to my nursing pillow. I bought it a couple of months before Edison was even born and started sleeping with it at night. While I was pregnant I could only sleep on my side and back. I am a stomach sleeper....even though I know that's probably the worst way to sleep. So being forced to sleep on my side was annoying. This pillow really helped me stay comfortable at night. And in the midst of my labor, I waddled into the hospital.....clinging onto my nursing pillow. I've been using it everyday since, for its intended purpose...nursing a baby. I wouldn't want to go without it, it makes nursing so much more comfortable. 

4. Swaddling blanket - Edison has always been a bit of a high-maintenance sleeper. We swaddled him every night from birth until he was 6 months old. A couple of my favorites are the aden + anais swaddling cloths because they are large and made of muslin which is light and breathable; and the Miracle Blanket, which holds his arms down really well so he can't get out of it, no matter how much he wiggles. He is finally able to sleep the night in his sleep sack now, but he still can't seem to handle his nap times with his arms loose. The only way I can get him to stay asleep during his naps, is to swaddle him. No swaddle = no naps = crazy mommy!

5. White noise - This one might seem weird, but Edison has always needed white noise to fall asleep. He is gradually getting better and eventually I'm sure we won't have to use it anymore. We used to put him to sleep with the blow dryer, which is pretty loud when its right by your head. He doesn't need it quite so loud any more, so we use the Cloud B Gentle Giraffe, a friend of the Sleep Sheep. Not only is he super cute, but the sound of the waterfall does the trick every time. The white noise also comes in handy in the car if Edison is crying. While most people know the numbers of all their favorite radio stations, I know the numbers of all the fuzzy radio stations that don't come in. Oh, how life changes when you have a baby. Some of my faves (depending on the area I'm in) are 99.7, 103.9, and 105.5. As I said, I know it's kinda weird..... but when he's crying and I turn on the static, he stops every time. 

6. Notepad and pen - I'm a list maker. To-do lists, shopping lists, reminder lists for my dear (but forgetful) husband. Even as I'm writing this, I realize both of my Monday's Musings have been in the form of lists. I always have a notepad and pen in my kitchen for my many lists. I know we live in a high-tech world of laptops and smartphones....and I know I can make lists in my phone...but to me, nothing beats a good, old-fashioned pen and paper. I love stationary!

7. Camera - Obviously, the camera is always on hand. The little one is constantly growing and changing and we want to capture all of the precious moments. We have about a billion pictures of his cuteness. And good ol' Albert still gets a photo-opp every once and a while too.

8. Laptop - Jonathan and I don't have cable TV. We don't want to pay for something we don't use very often. I also like to keep the TV off because I don't want Edison watching it. Whenever he sees something on a TV, he's totally mesmerized by it. I don't want him becoming a TV junkie. I've read that babies learn more through play than they do through "educational" videos like Baby Einstein. Jonathan and I watch TV shows and movies online on our laptops, through things like Netflix. And of course I also use my laptop for all my other online activities....facebook, blogging, email, twitter, and google-ing anything and everything.

9.Books & Magazines - I love to read. I don't get as much time to these days, but I always have a book on the go....even if I only read it bits, here and there. I've also been trying out an electronic reading program called Kobo and I've read a couple of books on my computer. I looked at my packed bookshelves and decided to try electronic reading out to see if I liked it. I don't mind it, but there's nothing like flipping through an actual book. I suppose one day I'd like to get an electronic reader like a Kindle....or if I win the lottery, an iPad. I also like to read magazines... especially ones that have recipes in the back!

10.iPod/Music - One thing I noticed when we got rid of our cable TV was the quietness in the house. Does anyone leave their TV on just for the background noise? We did that a lot. Although you get used to the quietness, I also like to have music on when I feel like breaking the silence. I've got all my favorite tunes on my iPod (a lot of Hillsong and other contemporary Christian musicians, and some kids music for little Edison too).


So what are some things that you couldn't get through the day without? Leave a comment if you'd like to share something. I love to get comments..... it means someone's actually reading my ramblings.

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment